Tuesday 8 July 2014

Lima Been

MATE Museo Mario Testino, Lima-Barranco, Peru

Lima is not one of the places I've heard great things about in the past. Most say its dirty, can be dangerous and almost always misty and overcast. All these things are in fact true (to be honest I'm not sure about the dangerous part, since I was lucky enough to have skipped that). What no one ever said to me about Lima, is that the food is AMAZING, the history and the architecture is to die for and there's quite a happening night scene when one is in need of digesting the "causa" one had for dinner. Need we also mention that Mario Testino is a Liman?? or that Matsuhisa Nobu lived in Lima for a few years and that's where he started experimenting with Peruvian/Japanese fusion and then went on to open his first restaurant?

I'm sure there is much more that has come out of Lima and Peru that we just don't know about yet...but the things we should be grateful for are also: Quinoa, Pisco (yeah Piscoooooooooo!) and Ponchos (which were first worn by the Paracas (Peruvian pre-Incas)).
Enough of my rambling...Basically what I'm trying to say is that I was very pleasantly surprised by Lima and what it had to offer. Great restaurants (Malabar-Pedro Miguel Schiaffino’s restaurant which uses produce sourced from the Amazon). For a more chilled lunch try Cala on the beach in Barranco....the Ceviche was up there, the view of the crashing waves and the surfers isn't to hard on the eyes and the Pisco sours hit the spot.

Cala, Lima-Barranco, Peru


Had we stopped in Lima for more than two nights, I'm sure I would have eaten my way through the city....or maybe thats just an excuse to go back!

Malabar, Lima

Malabar, Lima


No comments:

Post a Comment