Wednesday 28 May 2014

A Taste of Heaven

Lunch at AXE

LA is definately a great place to eat. From all the organic restaurants to choose from to the popular and trendy vegan places that have sprouted left right and center. I never actually thought I would ever enjoy vegan food, but i must admit, the week in LA  did open my eyes and my appetite to some new experiences.

AXE (ă • shay) is a salutation borrowed from Yoruba (where Nigeria is today) that means, "go with the power of the Gods and Goddesses". 
AXE a little restaurant on Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice Beach was definately one of the nicest discoveries on this LA trip. Such a cool relaxed vibe in the outside garden. I almost felt like I was having a light meal in the middle of the californian desert....Calm, peaceful and very zen.
The food, oh the food.....fresh, clean, organic, homemade, with some asian flavours thrown in... overall just plain yummy!!
My very satisfying basic bowl with housemade sausage at AXE

 One thing I noticed on EVERY menu in LA and NY was kale salad....I'm not a great fan, I mean i'll eat it, but I dont think i''ll ever crave a kale salad. I dont even think it ever crossed Kale's mind that one day he would be king of the veggies. Just goes to show you...one day you're up and one day you're down so take advantage of the limelight baby and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame!

So while some of them were eating kale salad....I had to have a taste of the Oxtail sliders at Eat Drink Americano in The Arts District of DTLA.

Oxtail: the culinary name for the tail of cattle....Logical right? Yeah! Does it sound horrible? well not to me, though it may to some! But when its cooked properly, it really does taste amazing.
                                                                         
 Its one of the cheapest cuts of meat you could say but when its cooked for a few hours, the meat becomes so tender and falls off the bone and its one of the tastiest things. So going back to my oxtail sliders...These little juicy meat filled pockets are just so tasty and satisfying (almost seems like you're eating pulled meat, for those who are still disgusted)  but so worth it!

Gracias Madre,  Our mission is to celebrate and serve the presence of the mother which resides above us, within our hearts, within the earth, and in all those who nurture us. We serve cuisine inspired by the kitchens of Mexico sourced from locally grown organic ingredients. Welcome to a seat at love’s table. Un lugar en la mesa del amor.

 Gracias Madre, a vegan mexican restaurant on Melrose Ave. that really surprised me. I was a bit sceptical at first, thinking that the food would taste bland and not be very satisfying, but i was wrong. It was so satisfying, that we went back to Gracias Madre twice in the same week! The Guacamole and chips were yummy, as were the Flautas de Camote, Enchiladas Verde and to be honest everything else we tried there. Only problem was this...(see picture below), but that sure as hell didn't stop us from eating!!


 
Dinner at Gracias Madre on Melrose Ave. as it rained on us



 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment